Monday, September 01, 2008

Merdeka! Makan!

Merdeka Eve and the long weekend. A good time for trips. Especially 'makan' trips...

First stop, Kedai Kopi Kean Fatt for the famous pork noodles!


Come get your pork noodles here!

So I settled down to wait...

Finally it has arrived...wait where are the innards?!!

One small slice of liver? That's all?

First up, be prepared to wait! It took an hour for my bowl of noodles to arrive and I noticed that two (or maybe even more) customers who came after me got their noodles first! Luckily the boss (lady) came over to double confirm what noodles I would like to have or else I would have probably walked off.

I admit that the soup tastes pretty sweet and was very appetizing. However the lack of innards (namely intestines and liver) really put me off. I did see a large bowl of intestines at the counter so I have no idea why they weren't in my noodles. Did they run out or something? It ain't cheap either with a large serving going for RM5.50. I really can't see what's the draw here. If I wanted to wait an hour for my noodles I would have just gone to the one at Subang where at least the noodles are full of meat and innards.

The verdict? Average at best. But I'm going to give them another try, and I'm going to come very, very early to avoid the crowd. Did I mention that I was there at 10 a.m? Looks like I'll have to be there at 8 a.m. next time...LOL!

Kedai Kopi Kean Fatt is located just a short walk away from the Taman Bahagia LRT station on the same row as the post office.

Next stop, one of Pudu's best kept secrets...

The place is pretty much hidden

A newspaper review, calling this place
"Pudu Bus Stop Little House Chicken Rice"

Rice...tasty rice

Chicken and roast pork, don't mind the serving style...

Close up!

I found this place when I was working at Jalan Pudu (years ago). The shop (which is actually more like a shack tacked to the side of a shophouse) is really hidden from view. Passerbys would probably overlook it as abandoned if not for the racks of chicken and roast pork hanging there.

The chicken here is nice if you like your meat to have a bit of 'bite'. I guess they probably use older chickens as the meat does not have the soft crumbly texture of the usual young chickens you get almost everywhere else. The magic though is in the sauce. A mixture of sesame seed oil, soya sauce and I-have-no-idea what else, the sauce really enhances the taste. Their chili sauce is pretty good too, making you want to douse liberal amounts of it all over your rice.

Speaking of the rice, I daresay this place serves one of the best rice ever. It's beautifully yellow and fluffy with a rich taste. They probably add lots of chicken fat (and butter maybe) to get such a taste so go easy as it will tend to feel greasy. The roast pork is not bad, but definately not superb.

RM5.50 (deja vu) for a satisfying meal (plus drink). I would say two thumbs way way up!

Oh and this place is located just next to the (now demolished) cinema on Jalan Pudu. It's a corner lot, look carefully for the chickens hanging there and you'll find it. Business starts at around 11 a.m. and it's only open for lunch.

Yeah I know, not really an epic 'makan' trip. Perhaps a trip to Melaka might be in order here hmmm?

9 Comments:

Blogger traCe said...

Is this pork noodle better or the 1 at Subang nicer? Ho yeah; I can join you makan makan soon! VERY SOON..muahahah

3:54 PM  
Blogger Moolah said...

Well if you like your soup to be more 'porky' in taste then Subang is the place to go.

Aren't we supposed to go to Ipoh for another makan trip? LOL!

3:57 PM  
Blogger traCe said...

Hmm..OK, geddit.. I want to try Margaret's YTF; when are we going there?

YES SIR! SILA SMS MANGKEE

4:00 PM  
Blogger Moolah said...

Margaret YTF? Er...I'm not sure where I put the map already.

You are his wife, sila nag him about Ipoh trip. =P

4:02 PM  
Blogger traCe said...

Hello; you been there once should remember the direction wut~ need map lagi ke?

akakak Hello its not the right time to nag about trip..maybe after the wedding then I'll NAG none stop ok? lolz

4:07 PM  
Blogger Moolah said...

Only been there once and you know how confusing USJ roads can be at times.

Yes, since you can only go on makan trip after the wedding, please nag him then.

KEKEKEKEKEKE

4:09 PM  
Blogger traCe said...

adoi.. Near court 9 area right? you memang TUA lah....

YA! NAG FOR MORE TRIPS...oh yeah!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Moolah said...

Yeah it's near Goodyear Court 9 but I don't recall how to get there.

LOL!

Hat Yai plz...lol...but that's confirmed liao!

9:45 AM  
Blogger traCe said...

hello kenapa tak ada update? Lu miss me or not?? akakakaka...silakan update coz i still read blog while am away from office...you memang not happening lah...LOLZ

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home