Thursday, September 18, 2008

It's time to change...

It's time to change...to a new camera at last! Inspired by Wei Siong's search for a new DSLR to complement his existing consumer (point-n-shoot) camera, I've been hit by the urge to upgrade!

My current Nikon Coolpix has served me faithfully for more than 3 years now and as you can see from the shots on this blog it has done a pretty good job. However one feature that I sorely needed but was not available way back then was image stabilisation. This feature is particularly useful during no-flash/low light photography as a little shake of my hand means that the entire shot is too blur to be useful. Over the years I've coped by either anchoring the the camera (or my hands) to some stable surface but since prosumer cameras nowadays have gotten cheaper I thought to myself why not get a new one eh?

So I've been looking around and so far have shortlisted a few. This list is by no means exhaustive and I'll probably add some more models in the future. Here we go!

1. Canon Powershot SX1 IS

The successor to the much-liked S5 IS, this one has basically everything with a 10 MP CMOS sensor, ability to shoot videos in full HD (1080p) and a 20x wide angle zoom lens. Canon even throws in a wireless remote control for your sexy self portraits! The image processing engine has also been upped to Digic IV. Unfortunately this camera uses AA batteries and not a battery pack. Probably will be pricey too looking at the spec list.

2. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28

This one replaces the venerable FZ18 and also offers a 10 MP sensor, 1280x720 res video shooting and 18x zoom lens. The latest Panasonic image processing engine (Venus Engine IV) is used. And of course the Leica lens is not to be scoffed at. Video taking capabilities are a bit off par with muffled audio, inconsistant autofocusing, slow zoom times and huge file sizes due to the fact that it uses Quicktime format though.

3. Sony Cybershot DSC-H50

The big brother of the H10, this one comes with a 9 MP sensor, VGA video shooting and a 15x zoom lens. This one is probably the lower spec-ed one amongst all the cameras here but it makes up for it with a lower (probably lowest) pricing around. Don't forget that the lens is from Carl Zeiss too! However going for Sony means investing in Memory Sticks and all I use are SDs...

Decisions decisions decisions! Might have to throw in a Nikon to compare since I've had such good experience with my current camera.

The search continues!

3 Comments:

Blogger fr@nk said...

Join da darkside. DSLR plez...

1:54 PM  
Blogger Moolah said...

DSLR? Wallet kata jangan!!!

=O

2:19 PM  
Blogger jazzmint said...

DSLR DSLR....

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home